Liposuction is a minimally invasive surgery that contours the body by permanently removing body fat from targeted areas. Often known as “lipo,” this popular, time-tested treatment has long been the answer for women and men who want to attain their ideal body aesthetic. Diet and exercise don’t always affect the areas we’d prefer – or even have predictable results. During liposuction, patients can have fat suctioned from the specific parts of the body prone to storing this stubborn fat, such as the abdomen or thighs. Every year, hundreds of thousands of patients in the United States benefit from this confidence-boosting treatment. And, why shouldn’t they? Today’s liposuction technology is efficient, effective, and creates customizable contours that last for years.
Experienced surgeon Dr. Wael Kouli at The Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery in San Diego performs this transformative treatment for patients looking to shape up their bodies. If you’re ready to learn more about the exceptional results you can achieve, contact us for an initial consultation. Call (619) 836-1682 (Coronado) or (858) 367-7514 (Del Mar). You can also request one online, or book a virtual appointment.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About
- 3 Liposuction Treatment Areas
- 4 Benefits
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation with Esthetica Center
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Results
- 11 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 12 Cost of Liposuction in San Diego
- 13 FAQ
- 14 References
Before and After Photos
Since it was first performed, liposuction has undergone continual advances to improve the quality of results and the overall experience. By 2020, it was one of the top five most frequently performed body contouring treatments in the United States, according to the American Society for Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  Esthetica Center liposuction patients pursuing their ideal physique will undergo the following steps during their procedure.
- Incisions and infiltration of Tumescent Fluid: Small, discreet incisions are made in the treatment area. Then, large amounts of tumescent fluid, also known as Klein’s solution, are injected into the treatment area in order to make the fat easier to remove. Tumescent fluid contains saline which causes the fat cells to swell, epinephrine to constrict blood vessels to prevent unnecessary blood loss, and lidocaine to further numb the area.
- Aspiration: A slender blunt-tipped cannula (1.5–3 mm in diameter) is then inserted into the incisions. This long, narrow tube applies the suction necessary to remove the fat while also creating holes in the layer of remaining fat, which later causes the area to collapse. The remaining fat cells are damaged and eventually reabsorbed and eliminated from the body. Liposuction cannulas are specifically designed to avoid damaging the blood vessels present in the layer of adipose tissue. They also create smooth contours and avoid unnecessary blood loss and inflammation. This allows for up to nearly a gallon of fat to be removed. Dr. Kouli will work slowly and carefully to ensure a safe procedure and smooth results.
Surgery typically lasts 3-4 hours, depending on the areas you wish to target and the amount of fat needing to be removed. However, liposuction is an outpatient procedure and patients can return home after a short monitoring period.
Liposuction Treatment Areas
Liposuction allows patients the opportunity to achieve attractive contours for multiple areas of the body, including:
Liposuction delivers streamlined body contours for patients struggling to lose body fat on their own. This procedure can be tailored to slim down specific areas of concern to deliver a patient’s desired body aesthetic, and a physique that they can be proud of. Dr. Kouli spends time with each patient so that he understands their intentions well, and can sculpt their contours accordingly during surgery. Good judgment and an artistic eye are essential in order to achieve results that are natural-looking and enhance the patient’s unique anatomy.
Liposuction treatments have helped new mothers, weight loss patients, and many others obtain a more fit and toned physique. When you meet with our team, they will evaluate your health and aesthetic intentions to ensure you meet the requirements for surgery.
Ideal Candidates for Liposuction are:
- Healthy individuals in optimal health
- At or near an ideal body weight
- Willing to stop smoking in the weeks before surgery and until fully recovered
- Possess good skin elasticity
- Have already adhered to a healthy diet and regular exercise without achieving the desired results
Personal Consultation with Esthetica Center
The Esthetica Experience
Patients seek treatment at Esthetica Center San Diego because of the remarkable results we deliver and our reputation for excellent patient care. Liposuction patients attain slimmer body contours, a trimmer figure, and more self-confidence. Your consultation with Dr. Kouli is an opportunity for you to learn more about the surgery and how it can enhance your appearance. We’ll discuss your medical history and aesthetic ambitions and examine the areas you’d like to treat. After carefully considering your unique circumstances, Dr. Kouli will be able to determine whether you’ll benefit from liposuction or if another approach is appropriate. If you are a good candidate for liposuction, he will discuss the surgical process, how to prepare for surgery, and what to expect during recovery.
Get In Touch with Us
Patients should begin to prepare for surgery several weeks before the date of their procedure. This will ensure a safe procedure, reduce the risk of complications, and contribute to a smooth recovery and rewarding results. We’ll advise liposuction patients to:
- Stop smoking to ensure healthy circulation.
- Discontinue using NSAIDs and taking certain medications and supplements.
- Pick up your prescriptions from the pharmacy in advance.
- Arrange to be picked up by a helpful friend or loved one once the surgery is complete.
- Take 1-2 weeks off from work to recover.
Liposuction surgery is performed in our accredited outpatient surgical facility in the San Diego area. Before your procedure begins, you’ll meet with Dr. Kouli, who will be able to answer any last-minute questions. He’ll make markings in the treatment area to guide him during surgery. Liposuction can be performed under general anesthesia, or with local anesthesia and sedation. Your preferences and the areas and extent of your procedure will determine which method is best for you. Once the anesthesia has taken effect, Dr. Kouli will make the incisions, and infiltrate the treatment area with tumescent fluid. Next, the cannula is inserted into the incisions and gently maneuvered in a criss-cross motion to remove the unwanted fat.  This process is repeated until the desired contour is perfected. Once complete, we’ll close the incisions and apply dressings and a compression garment to reduce swelling and help shape your results.
Make rest a priority after surgery. For the first 1-3 days of your recovery, you can expect the typical symptoms of bruising, swelling, soreness, and inflammation. These symptoms will improve over time, and can easily be managed with the help of the prescribed pain medication. Please continue to wear your compression garment as instructed until we tell you it’s okay to take it off. After two weeks of recovery, you’ll be able to return to most of your daily activities. However, please wait at least six weeks after surgery before engaging in strenuous activity.
The medical staff of Esthetica Center for Cosmetic Surgery places patients’ well-being as a top priority. Our medical expertise ensures patients enjoy peace of mind and avoid any complications. Unfortunately, every surgical procedure carries risks, even with the best team. As you recover, you’ll return for regular follow-up appointments so that we can monitor your progress. And as always, we are just a phone call away if you have any questions or concerns
As your symptoms improve and any residual swelling diminishes, you will see a well-deserved improvement in the treated areas and enjoy a silhouette that makes you happy. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells, which are unable to regenerate. Your results are long-term, provided you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Esthetica Center patients can choose other body contouring treatments to achieve an ideal body profile. At your consultation, we may recommend:
BodyTite is an excellent addition to a liposuction treatment, or for patients with loose skin and small amounts of fat who prefer to avoid surgery. This minimally invasive treatment emits radiofrequency energy via a needle-like wand that is inserted beneath the skin to melt fat and stimulate collagen production for tighter skin. In the weeks following treatment, the damaged fat cells are eliminated and the skin becomes firmer and tighter.
A fat transfer allows patients to enhance the contours and volume of their breasts, and butt, and rejuvenate their face and hands. Unwanted fat is removed from areas of concern via liposuction or a specialized syringe, depending on the amount required. The fat is then purified, prepared, and the live fat cells are injected in areas requiring additional volume. The results are natural-looking and feeling because it’s natural fat!
Cost of Liposuction in San Diego
Liposuctions is a highly-customized approach to body sculpting, and your unique requests will affect how much your liposuction will cost. Our team will discuss the pricing of your procedure and address any financial concerns following your personal consultation. Esthetic offers several financing options for affordable payment structures.
Will liposuction deliver long-lasting results?
Yes, the results you can gain from liposuction are yours to keep for years. Once the fat is removed from your body, the fat is gone forever. However, the remaining fat cells will increase in size during weight gain. Patients are encouraged to incorporate a healthy lifestyle with good eating habits and exercise to maintain optimal and consistent results.
Will I have scars after my liposuction surgery?
The incisions made during liposuction are typically only around a centimeter long, and are located in areas that can easily be concealed with clothing or swimwear. Once healed, they are usually unnoticeable.
- PLASTIC SURGERY STATISTICS REPORT 2020. American Society of Plastic Surgeons; 2020. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2020.pdf
- Venkataram J. Tumescent liposuction: A review. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. 2008;1(2):49. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840906/
- Bellini E, Grieco MP, Raposio E. A journey through liposuction and liposculpture: Review. Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2017;24:53-60. doi:10.1016/j.amsu.2017.10.024