Rhinoplasty San Diego
Rhinoplasty enhances facial harmony and the proportions of your nose.
It can also correct impaired breathing caused by structural defects in the nose. The procedure can change:
- Nose size in relation to facial balance
- Nose width at the bridge or in the size and position of the nostrils
- Nose profile with visible humps or depressions on the bridge
- Nasal tip that is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Nostrils that are large, wide, or upturned
- Nasal asymmetry
Rhinoplasty is often performed to:
- Change the size
- Correct birth defects and injuries
- Change the shape
- Correct breathing problems
If you’re considering a Rhinoplasty procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Kouli. He will be happy to discuss all your options with you.
Often Called a Nose Job:
Made famous by the entertainment industry with the term “nose job”, it is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S. A nose job can give your nose a new size or shape. By performing a nose job, we can narrow or widen the width of your nose, increase or reduce the size or length of your nose, correct bumps and other issues at the bridge of the nose, or change the shape of the nostrils.
When cosmetic surgery is performed only to change the shape of the nose, age is a consideration. It is usually not done until the nasal bone growth is complete. This is about age 14 or 15 for girls, and a little later for boys.
To ensure the best result, stop smoking at least four weeks before surgery. Smoking impairs wound healing. This is an excellent time to get help with a smoking cessation program from your caregiver or surgeon and stop smoking forever.
- Rhinoplasty can be performed under a general anesthetic or with local anesthetic. When local anesthesia is used, your nose and the surrounding area is numbed with a medication like Novocaine. You are usually lightly sedated for the surgery. This keeps you relaxed while the Novocaine keeps you pain free. General anesthesia allows you to sleep through the operation. This is commonly used in children. This is usually done as an outpatient procedure but may require a brief hospital stay if the surgery is more complex. Incisions are hidden inside the nostrils and sometimes are made on skin between the nostrils. Through these incisions, Dr Kouli is able to reshape the cartilage and bone.
- Sometimes a piece of your own cartilage or bone is used to strengthen or improve the build of the nose. This is also done for cosmetic reasons or to improve breathing.
- Rarely man-made (synthetic) implants are used to reconstruct the nose when the normal structure is badly damaged or weakened. This is sometimes associated with long-term complications such as movement or your body trying to get rid of the foreign body. Using cartilage from the septum, ear, or rib overcomes this problem.
- Improving nasal breathing is sometimes accomplished with a septoplasty. This may be done in combination with cosmetic changes. Cartilage removed can be used to improve the looks and framework of the nose.
The risks for any anesthesia are:
- Reactions To Medications.
- Breathing Problems.
- Heart Attack or Stroke.
Generally the risks from rhinoplasty are small, but some of the risks that may happen include general risks for any surgery:
- Airway obstruction
- Burst blood vessels
- Heavy scar (keloid formation)
- Loss of structural support
- Numbness (permanent risk is very small)
- Perforation of septum
- Slow healing
- Infection (pain, swelling, warmth, redness)
- Skin necrosis or skin death, which is many times more likely in smokers
- Failure to correct the problem
- Asymmetry or abnormal shape
- Extrusion of implants
- Loss of smell
- Nerve Damage
- Septal hematoma
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Bleeding (may require nasal packing)
- Small burst vessels on the skin, minor but permanent
Contact Us Today
Watch Our Video
Learn About Gastric Balloon
Dr. Kouli has excellent reviews from his Patients. Click here to see what they have to say, in their own words.
5 stars based on 147 reviews
Individual results may vary